Upgraded to new MCB 13″ so now need to go through everything again. Started wtih ruby (done, alreay there) and then rails with: sudo gem install rails –http-proxy http://proxy.abdn.ac.uk:8080 as I’m doing this at work. I also noticed a ton of gems already present. I’m not sure that I’ll need to use Macports this time, but we’ll see.
Ok, just found out that I do need Macports so that I can easily use capybara. Ok, here we go. Finally, several hours later I now have gem for mysql added. Needed to install 64-bit MySQL after removing 32-bit one, and then adding gem source of gems.rubyforge.org in order to retrieve the gem.
ImageMagick via Macports install went smoothly and works now. One more part sorted.
Instead of just using Smultron, I’m going to also put in Komodo Edit. I tried Komodo the other week and found it real useful for working with Ruby, so shall have students give it a go too as it’s cross-platform.
I think that is everything for now. Needless to say, there will be a ton of Java related things to put in place, but this will do for most things and once I tidy up environment paths, then I’m good to go.