This page is continuously under development, due greatly to the youth of my career. I’ll always be looking for new and interesting material for the purpose of making it newer and more interesting. Apologies in advance for any instances of shameless self promotion you may encounter here.
Background and research interests
I’m a third-year PhD student in mathematics at the University of Aberdeen. I specialize in the modular representation theory of elementary abelian p-groups. In particular, I am interested in modules of constant Jordan type and their relations to algebraic geometry. My supervisor is Professor David Benson.
Prior to arriving in Aberdeen, I studied for my BA in mathematics at the University of Colorado at Boulder. My honors project was on the classification of the finite-dimensional complex simple Lie algebras; my advisor was Professor Arlan Ramsay.
|Address:||Institute of Mathematics, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 3UE, Scotland, UK|
|Telephone:||+44 1224 273 876|
|Email:||s dot baland at abdn dot ac dot uk|
Publications and preprints
- On the generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type, to appear in Arch. Math. (Basel). pdf
- Modules of constant Jordan type with two non-projective blocks, J. Algebra 346 (2011), 343-350. pdf
Lecture notes, etc.Please contact me about any errors you may find in the following items.
- Classification of Finite-Dimensional Simple Lie Algebras over the Complex Numbers. My expository honors thesis at the University of Colorado, submitted in 2007. pdf
- “The generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type.” BIREP Seminar, Universität Bielefeld, 8 June 2012.
- “Generic kernels for modules of constant Jordan type.” Algebra Seminar, University of Aberdeen, 3 May 2012.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups.” Algebraic Transformation Groups workshop, British Mathematical Colloquium, University of Kent, 18 Apr 2012.
- “Restrictions on Jordan types of modules for elementary abelian p-groups.” 27th ARTIN Postgraduate Meeting, University of Glasgow, 18 Mar 2011.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type II.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 22 Apr 2010.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 8 Apr 2010.
- “A survey of modular representation theory II: p-modular systems and blocks.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 22 Oct 2009.
- “A survey of modular representation theory I: Brauer characters.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 15 Oct 2009.
- “The combinatorics of root systems.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 6 Dec 2007.
- “Semisimple Lie algebras.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 29 Nov 2007.
- “On the classification of finite-dimensional complex simple Lie algebras.” Slow Pitch Colloquium, University of Colorado, Boulder, 26 Nov 2007.
Awards and honors
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS), University of Aberdeen, 2008.
- Crisp Fellowship, Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society, Colorado Alpha Chapter, 2009.
- Bisets in Algebra and Topology, LAMFA, Université de Picardie Jules Verne, September 12–14, 2012.
- Cohomology and Support in Representation Theory and Related Topics, University of Washington, July 27–August 5, 2012.
- 2012 British Mathematical Colloquium (BMC), University of Kent, April 16–19, 2012.
- Groups 2012, a conference in honour of the 75th birthday of Bernd Fischer, Bielefeld University, March 12–16, 2012.
- Dave Benson’s Groups, Representations and Cohomology Preprint Archive.
- Sage Notebook, a very handy and free online mathematics program.
- The MAGMA computational algebra system.
- The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project.
This is a list of people who have influenced my work or otherwise contributed to my mathematical development.
- Jon Carlson
- Eric M. Friedlander
- Richard Green
- Radha Kessar
- Markus Linckelmann
- Tim Penttila
- Julia Pevtsova
- Jeremy Rickard
- Andrei Suslin
- Nat Thiem